A report into the Magdalene Laundries has found the State was directly involved in the running of the laundries, with just over one quarter of referrals made by or facilitated by the State.
- Taoiseach Enda Kenny said the report deals with 10,012 women
- The actual number of known admissions was 14,607
- The average age was 23, the youngest entrant was nine, the oldest entrant was 89
- Many instances of verbal censure, scoldings and humiliating put-downs
- No allegations of sexual abuse. A minority reported physical abuse
- Justice for Magdalenes said the Taoiseach's statement "falls far short of ... full and sincere apology"
- Read the Full Report ¦ Executive Summary