DPP expected to make application over rape case

Updated: Wednesday, 23 Jan 2013 22:10

The Director of Public Prosecutions is expected to make an application to the Central Criminal Court tomorrow in relation to the case of a 72-year-old convicted sex offender released on bail earlier this week.

Patrick O'Brien, of Old Court Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow, admitted the rape and indecent assault of his daughter, Fiona Doyle, at Mackintosh Park, Pottery Road, Dún Laoghaire, over a ten-year period from 1973 to 1982.

Mr Justice Paul Carney sentenced him to 12 years in prison but suspended nine years and granted him continuing bail pending an appeal.

The case is on the court list and is due for mention tomorrow morning.

Mr Justice Carney has certified the case for appeal to the Court of Criminal Appeal but neither O'Brien's legal team nor the DPP has so far lodged an appeal.

Meanwhile, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said he is "quite willing" to meet Ms Doyle to discuss her view of the courts system.

Mr Kenny told the Dáil that such a meeting had been suggested in the media.

Mr Kenny said he would be very happy to meet her at a convenient time "to hear her view as a victim of unspeakable horror".

He said that he could not express a view on the sentence in the case.